Thursday, July 24, 2008

Rewind almost one year...

Our first meal in Switzerland
Originally uploaded by Arsmor
So yeah, the writer's block is still hanging on. I've been sitting at my computer, staring at the screen and trying to think of anything at all to write for the past one and a half hours. As a last ditch effort, I started going through Mr K's Flickr stream to see if anything caught me eye. If you're at all familiar with Mr K's photography (he's really really good) then you just know something will catch my eye - and here it is! This picture got me not because of what it shows, but because of the memories it brings back - this picture was taken a matter of hours after we landed here.

The day we arrived was easily one of the longest days of my life. For our 12 hours flight here, we were seated in the very back row of the plane in not one, but TWO middle seats. Our flight left in the evening on the 17th of September and arrived the morning of the following day. I managed to not sleep at all on the flight and Mr K only slept for about two hours, meaning we were pretty much dead when we arrived at the oh-so-tiny Bern Airport.

(It was on the connecting flight from Munich to Bern we learned an important lesson - when the seventeen little old people on one's flight, all laughing and chatting together in Swiss German, pause their conversations just long enough to press their hands against the seat back in front of them during landing, rather than giggling, one would be wise to follow along otherwise one will smash one's face into the seatback in what can only be described as an uncomfortable manner - the landing is that abrupt.)

So, rubbing our recently-squashed noses and grabbing our bags, we leave the tiny customs-free Bern airport and head to our hotel. After nearly destroying a cab with the weight of our massive amount of luggage, we checked into our hotel. Just as I was preparing to collapsed on the gigantic and fluffily-made-up bed, Mr K insisted we go to open our bank account and also find some food. Though I really wanted a nap, I grudgingly agreed as I had been wearing a pretty healthy amount of travelers checks around with me and was a bit nervous I was going to lose the whole pouch of them at any moment.

We managed to open a bank account despite some linguistic complications and then had one more item to deal with before Mr K would finally let me sleep - food.

(By this point I had been awake well over 30 hours in addition to several nights of next-to-no-sleep right before we left. All our furniture was gone, so we were sleeping in blankets on the floor of our house right up until the day before we left.)

The problem with us wanting to eat was we weren't hungry during the nationally-sanctioned-times-of-meals (noon to two in the afternoon and six to late in the evening). It was around 3:30 or so in the afternoon and there was no way I was going to be able to wait until six in the evening to eat. Fortunately, Mr K remember we could get some hot food at Migros (grocery and department-type store chain) and there was a location located between the bank and our hotel.

The food was served cafeteria style, so we grabbed trays and tried to make a choice. I was so hungry I couldn't make up my mind, so I just got the same thing that Mr K got - pork on a stick. With gravy. He was good and got veggies but I also got noodles with mine - I was dying for comforting-carbs. Throw in a couple glasses of orange-kiwi juice and a kinderegg for me and I can honestly say it was one of the top five most enjoyable meals we've had since arriving here - not as much for the food quality as just for being hot food - I was almost in tears. After a heavy meal like that, we headed back to our hotel, too tired to even pay attention to the elephants out front, and collapsed.

We actually haven't eaten at a Migros since that day, but that meal will always be a memorable one for me.


Orionmoon said...

Reminds me of an 8 hour flight from New Jersey to Aviano airbase with a kid who went through 18 diapers in 8 hours, also middle seats all the way on "Flying Tiger Airlines". Follow this with a 2 hour bus ride, then a "sponsor" who wants to show us all the town (when we spoke no Italian whatsoever) and finally checked into a hotel room so small you had to step outside to change your mind. Mom and I rolled over in the murphy bed, looked at each other, and a bit tearfully said, My God, what have we done??? Then, morning came, we got quarters and neighbors and all was well...memories

Miz K said...

And yet you kept Katie anyway - amazing! Wait - what? Katie wasn't born yet? Surely you can't mean.....!

Carl E said...

I think its great that you have such a vivid memory of your first day in Switzerland!!! Thinking back to our arrival in Belgium, I can't think of what our first meal was!! But I'm sure it involved frites! ;-)

Miz K said...

Mmmmm frites! Honestly, I probably wouldn't remember a lot if Chris wasn't so into documenting everything pho-to-graphically!

Katie said...

i cannot belive it's almost been a year... that is not even MY memory to cherish but it still made me feel all gooey inside!! LOL... I'm glad you guys are so happy there!