Thursday, May 1, 2008

Catch-up and Barbeque

O
hai!

Mr K and I have been sick for the past 4 days or so - whether from a shared cold or assault by strange new pollen. Either way, we've been sneezing, coughing, tearing through tissues and just generally being disgusting. Despite the dread pollen, the weather here has just been amazing the past few days - sunny with just a few cotton candy clouds and temperatures in the 50s to 60s. All the little Swisslettes are breaking out their summer tank tops and I'm afraid Mr K is going to end up in a neck brace by June - I imagine his Flickr account will be loaded with proof of this phenomenon later on this week.

Anyway, back to the funny picture - this is something I've been meaning to blog for a while so I figured today was a good day to drag myself out of my decongestant-fueled slump long enough to play catch-up!

Early in April I took a trip to the American Store in Geneva with the wife of one of Mr K's coworkers. The store is located painfully close to the train station and was very small but packed completely full - it was like Wal-mart, but very condensed and with the prices Swiss-i-fied. I spent the first 15 to 20 minutes just taking everything in - all these products that I had completely forgotten existed. I knew I wanted to keep my purchases to the bare minimum as the prices were heart-stopping on many items. Try 18$ for Aunt Jemima syrup or 15$ for Easy Cheese. Amazing, right? So I did break down and pick up a couple things but I kept my purchases limited to the cash I had in my purse. The first item I snatched up was a bottle of Jack Daniels BBQ sauce (10$) - we haven't had anything BBQ since we left in September and we've been savoring this bottle. I threw two cans of baked beans (6$ each) into my pile as well since I haven't been patient enough yet to try baked beans done the old-fashioned way and they've always been one of my favorites - I love foods that straddle that salty-sweet line. Next I grabbed a tiny packet of Fig Newtons and a can of Dr Pepper for Mr K, which he loved. I also grabbed a box of Arm and Hammer baking soda (4$) as I'm sure there is a Swiss equivalent but I haven't figured it out yet and that one box will last me pretty much the rest of my life as little as I bake. Last splurge item, rolling in at just under 5$ was a bag of baby marshmallows. We plan to have a typical Southern-style BBQ sometime over the summer and what BBQ would be complete without Ambrosia Salad, right? Hah!

All in all it was a really fun day - after the shopping we grabbed Chinese for lunch before heading home - really good Chinese, at that!

Off to take a nap for no reason and then get some painting done! I have a couple projects in the works and my runny nose is no longer a valid excuse! Later I have to blog about our recent guests - Jen and Carl from Virginia/Portland/Belgium/Blogland. Jen's ahead of me and already has her post up.

3 comments:

FillyFolly said...

bicarbonate de soude = Baking Soda.
Shouldn't cost you so much!!

Miz K said...

Yeah that's what I looked for - no luck. Sometimes the problem is as much knowing where in the store to look as knowing what to look for!

Jen said...

I might have been ahead of you on the blog posting, but I'm WAAAY behind on the comments! Sorry you ended up sick, but hopefully that's ancient history by now. So when are you coming to Brussels again? ;-)