Friday, March 27, 2009
A short list of things that are noticeably absent from Switzerland
Today is migraine day, apparently, but I still felt like I needed to get a blog out so here you go - a very random list of things that are difficult to find or nonexistent here.
Please note: this post is statement, not complaint... well, except for the parts about Twizzlers and burritos - that's complaint.
* Electric blankets (I did see a heated mattress pad once though)
* Small electric heating pads (the ladies know what I mean) ((nothing here but water bottles...))
* Crock Pots (I found one as a NEW ITEM at an upscale department store... for about 180$)
* Peppermint hard candies
* Cinnamon Candy
* Twizzlers or other non-gummy "red" flavored candy...
* Candy Canes
* Anything that combines peanut butter and chocolate
* Squirrels (I've been told they have some but that they only live in the woods... what kind of squirrel is that??)
* Frozen drinks (I'm sure some place here makes daiquiris and what-not, but we haven't found it)
* "Real" Mexican food... though we did see a place in Bern that we, ever the optimists, want to try
* Restaurants open late night/early morning
*Window screens (and yet we never get bugs indoors anyway, other than the occasional fly, which the kitties make short work of)
* American "cheese"
* Cheddar of various sharpness designations - there's only one kind of cheddar here - "cheddar" and it's white and pretty mild
Of all those things, I think the lack of squirrels and electric blankets surprises me the most.... well, and the lack of peanut butter-chocolate combination... how crazy is that??